Monday, June 29, 2009

It rained last night

That seems like the title of poem, but unfortunately it isn’t!  It is just another rambling blog from me.  I haven’t written a poem for so long that I think I should try writing one very soon.  Work and inertia is keeping me away from poetry.  I am not claiming to have been a good poet by any standards anytime in my life, but I think I was readable (at least by myself!)

Well, to return to the title of this entry, it rained last night.  It must have rained heavily because I woke up to mother’s cries of disbelief at the sight outside.  There was a deluge in our courtyard.  It was totally inundated with greenish muddy water, just a few inches away from entering our home.  Luckily, it had already begun to recede by the time we woke up and the rain Gods had turned their attention to other things as well.  It was still raining, though less wrathfully.  I made the best use of this situation that I could think of – I waded out into the road, trousers rolled up over my knees, Johnny for company.  I clicked a few pictures as well.

Rains finally bringing the temperatures down to more healthier levels.  More rains are needed in parts of India which give us our daily bread, the food producing regions.  The other day, I had been watching on TV how the delay in monsoons this year is causing sleepless nights for our “kisaan” brothers.  I hope the rain Gods smile on them!  I don’t understand how much of all this is an effect of the much-hyped Global Warming phenomenon, but sometimes I think some of it is.  We need to instill more respect for the environment in ourselves.  My own desire to buy a bike is in conflict with my desire to be eco-friendly – one of those conflicts that plague me.

Won’t talk about more conflict now.  The rains were a relief.  Thank God!!

Here’s something that crept into my mind while I was at the toilet, relieving myself.

Rain rain where are you,

Little Johnny is feeling blue,

Come to him, he wants to play,

Come and wash his tears away! SDC10910

No comments:

Post a Comment