Friday, August 31, 2007

The Sweeper

I love watching the sweeper at his work, especially at railway stations. Earlier today, while I was waiting for the Up train to Sealdah, I had the good fortune to observe a sweeper at work on the platform on the other side. It was a pleasure watching him clean up the platform with brisk strokes of his broom. Collecting stray pieces of paper, toffee wrappers, cigarette butts, etc. with each sweep of his broom and bringing them to the front of him in an orderly fashion. Another long sweep of his broom for the more distant neighbors of the rubbish. He was very precise and orderly at his work. I love watching how each small segment of the platform is freed of dirt and filth, and then the next until the sweeper has done his job. No more filth anywhere to be seen, or almost anywhere. One of the reasons I love watching this is maybe because the results of his labor are there to be seen before my very eyes. The efforts he puts in and the results they bring are very apparent. With each sweep of his broom decongesting a small portion of the platform, and the repetitive nature of the job, until the whole platform is freed of filth.........I can't really go on about this because I don't have the analytical prowess required to really say why I love watching a sweeper at work.......but why count the seed when you are enjoying the mango??

No comments:

Post a Comment